A fat drunk rants and reviews.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

NYC Burrito Report

Day 1

"Today" I had a chicken Holy Mole burrito from Burritoville.

It was OK. Tightly packed, fairly generous on the chicken (roasted rather than grilled and not all breast, if any), light on the salad (this seem to help it not to fall apart), uncooked tomato salsa. Not very spicy. Weakest part was the beans which had been overcooked into a sort of grouty amalgam (I think this is intentional, but I am not a fan).

Day 2

Yesterday's lunch was "Bob Marley's Last Burrito" again from Burritoville - jerk chicken and a whole wheat wrapping. Except for the tortilla, it would have been hard to distinguish from the other one to be honest.

I have realised that a Burritoville burrito is basically a big sausage with tortilla instead of skin.

They're OK, but I will be leaving early tomrrow to get to Chipotle instead.

Day 3

Chipotle burrito with carnitas (slow-cooked pork). About mid-way between donkey and 'ville produce in texture. The red tomatilla salsa is pretty good and they have bottles of Tabasco on the tables if it doesn't quite provoke the sweat glands.

The generous portion of meat was pretty tasty (it's cooked with juniper berries among other things, though I couldn't discern any actual gin flavours). Coriander-lime rice is almost pungent - perhaps a little too much lime. The beans are a bit nicer than Burritoville's efforts.

Obviously with slow-cooked pork you can't expect it, but the grilled chicken and beef are pre-cooked in large-ish quantities so I suspect would lack the crispy freshness of donkey fare.

Finally, and perhaps this is because I had to go before I was hungry to avoid the ludicrous queues which form at lunchtime (people will wait over 40 minutes for one of these) it was incredibly filling. I got some chips and salsa for after and couldn't even consider them.

No comments: